HELLAS LIBERTY

There is no doubt that Liberties played a significant role in the victory of the Allied Forces over Fascism.

SS Hellas Liberty is Liberty class ship launched in 1943 by ST. John’s River Shipbuilding Company. She was converted into a pipe carrier in 1944 and used in the construction of a fuel pipeline under the English Channel following the Normandy landing. After the war she was laid up. She was chartered by AT&T in 1956 and converted into a cable ship. In 1957 she was transferred to the US reserve fleet until 1964. Later she was classified as a barge and again laid up at the James River in 1983. After that many components including the rudder were removed and used as spare parts for the SS “JOHN W. BROWN”.

Today only three Liberty ships survive: two in the U.S. and the SS HELLAS LIBERTY here in Piraeus. Thanks to ex-ICS Chairman Spyros M. Polemis initiative and continued efforts, the ship was donated by the U.S. to the Greek government in order to be converted into a floating maritime museum.

She was towed into Piraeus harbor on January 2009, General repairs and conversions took place at Perama and Skaramanga shipyards, including the installation of a new rubber, propeller, derricks and lifeboat. In summer 2010 she was presented to the public in her newly restored condition at Piraeus harbor. Most of the expenses were covered by Captain Vassilis Constantakopoulos founder of Costamare Shipping Co. 

Open to the public every day, the ship is visited by people of all ages and occupations, especially former seamen, students of nautical academies, universities, technological institutions, etc.

THE SS HELLAS LIBERTY is operated by the Friends of Liberty Association.

Make a donation

If you would like to make a donation or any other information please click on the link to the right.

Learn more here

Follow us on Social Media :